I was a little confused and pleasantly surprised to receive a Leibster Award nomination from Megan from Misadventures with Megan a few days ago. As a total newbie to the blogging world, I had never heard of this Liebster thing before. First, I was flattered that someone actually reads and likes my blog enough to put me on their list of new blogs to check out. I really enjoy reading Megan’s stories about adventures with kids and was grateful for her pro tip to give our kids tic tacs on hikes and tell them they impart super powers (genius)!
I wanted to know more about this Leibster thing. So after reading Megan’s great post about it, I did what we all do promptly googled it to learn more. Here’s what I learned:
What is the Liebster Award?
“Liebster” is a German word meaning beloved or dearest. This Award exists only on the internet as pixels, and is given to bloggers by other bloggers. Many see it as a way of promoting and recognizing fellow bloggers, for their efforts and accomplishments in becoming a bonafide blogger. Some see it as a nasty chain letter that needs to be snuffed out…
Despite the “nasty chain letter” feeling that some bloggers apparently have about this little award, I’ve decided to keep the tradition going. As a total newbie blogger (on month 2 now), I love the idea of spreading the word about new blogs and finding out some fun tidbits about the bloggers along the way. So here it goes. I looked up the “original” rules and am sticking to highlighting blogs that have less than 1,000 followers.
- Acknowledge the blog that gave you the award – send them love!
- Answer 11 Questions that the blogger gives you
- Give 11 random facts about yourself
- Nominate 11 blogs (that have less than 1,000 followers)
- Give them 11 Questions to answer
Here are My Q& A Answers:
- Why did you start blogging? Oh, I have a post about it (that was easy)!
- What’s your favorite thing to do on a Saturday morning? Get outside somewhere with my husband and boys, even if it’s just to the front yard, the neighborhood park, or a local hiking trail.
- Coffee or Tea? Coffee, always.
- What are your big blogging goals? My main goal right now is to continue blogging in a way that is enjoyable for me. I don’t want it to feel like a third job (I’ve already got a 9-5 and plus a full-time-Mom-to-a-toddler-and-a-baby job).
- What’s your favorite way to spend time outside? Oh, there are so many ways! Hiking with kids is up there. But I’m going to go with the beach. We live near the beach, so we are there in some capacity most weekends. There is something about seeing the horizon that always makes me feel small and makes the world feel so big and ready for exploring. I love it – the beach keeps me feeling centered and brings peace during stressful times.
- What inspires your blog posts? A few different things, actually. I find myself not fitting exactly into one blogging category. I don’t only want to write about personal finance/financial independence, and I don’t only want to write about travel/adventure, or just about family life. I think all of those areas motivate me a bit and I’m trying to balance those different types of posts on my blog.
- Dogs or Cats? Dogs, and I have to say medium to large dogs.
- What is the most challenging thing about blogging? Finding the time to do it!!
- What is the most rewarding thing about blogging? Connecting with like-minded people with similar interests, and learning from their experiences.
- What’s your favorite vacation destination? Again, I’m going to say beach. Even though we live near a beach, I still find that especially with young kids, a beach vacation is the most relaxing kind of vacation for us (as relaxing as it gets chasing a toddler or two). I grew up in Florida, so the beach feels a bit like home to me too, even though we do try to explore new areas and new beaches to change it up a bit.
- Do you love or hate road trips? Love, love, love, though this enthusiasm has been tested doing road trips with kids I’ll admit. I still love the flexibility that road trips offer – being able to stop and check out an unexpected gem, stretching your legs by the side of the road, getting off the highway to get a feel for local towns along the way, oh, and checking out great food as you go! Btw, Megan has a post on how to make road trips with kids more enjoyable.
My New Blog Nominations
Reaching for FI
Single Income Life
The Cheeky Cyclist
Fired Up About Finance
Her Money Moves
The Three Year Experiment
Countdown to Tranquility
Roads Bel Traveled
Dash 2 Retire
Make More Meaning
Questions for My Nominees
- Why did you start your blog? (Yes, copying one question from Megan)
- What gets you up in the morning?
- Describe your perfect day.
- What have you found to be the best thing about starting a blog?
- What have you found to be the worst thing?
- What is one thing most people don’t know about you?
- Where is the best place you’ve visited?
- Where do you dream of traveling?
- What is your favorite book?
- What do you want to be in your next life (figuratively speaking)?
- Who is your favorite musician or band?
Ok, this was fun!
Please don’t forget to follow me on social media!